Make Your Vintage Shopping Experience The Best!
1. Be early. Your chances of getting the best items are better at the opening bell!
2. Get good parking. Come early. This is Chicago so street parking can be scarce later in the day. You should have no trouble if you come early and there are no meter fees on Sundays! Or, don’t drive and take the Argyle Red Line instead, which is less than a block away from the Garage.
3. Be sharp. Tired or hung over vintage shopping is tough. You might miss something. Get your beauty sleep! 🙂
4. Bring cash. Many dealers take all forms of payment, but don’t chance it. You could miss the perfect retro addition to your collection if you don’t have cash on hand.
6. Meet the vendors. Many of our Garage dealers are there every month and want to build their customer base. Tell them what you are looking for. Hunting things down is what we do. Besides, dealers are a really cool group of people!
7. Ask for a better deal. Don’t be afraid to counter offer, but be polite and reasonable. Don’t offer less than 1/2 price for an item; think 10% to 20%. Dealers have to pay for their booth and other expenses associated with tracking down the coolest items, but make no mistake, they want to haggle.
8. Buy the best you can afford. Quality pieces stand the test of time. Be on the lookout and know what serious quality is in the category you collect. The price is right with vintage, so you get more for your money.
9. Look closely. It’s dim in the Garage and in most early morning markets. Pull out your iPhone flashlight or ask to take the piece closer to light for a better look. You can also use your fingers to feel as you look. Be confident your piece is 100% whole and undamaged.
10. Spend the day. Uptown has amazing shops. Two of the best antique malls in the city are a few Red Line stops away. You never even have to move your car. There are many great places to eat nearby too.
We’d love to hear from you. If you have tips to share, please contact us and we might feature them in a future post or email.
About Vintage Garage Chicago
The Chicago Vintage Clothing and Jewelry Show will take place March 2, 3pm to 8pm, March 3, 2018. 10am to 5pm at 5649 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60660. St. Andrews Greek Orthodox Church at the corner of Hollywood and N. Sheridan Road. The official website is www.vintageclothingandjewelry.com
The 2018 Vintage Garage dates are April 15, May 20, June 17 , July 15, August 19, September 16, and October 21. There will be 100 vendors offering cool vintage and antique pieces every 3rd Sunday, April to October. Vintage Garage is located at 5051 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640. Hours are 10:00 am to 5:00 pm with a $5 admission. Official website is www.vintagegaragechicago.com.