Vintage Clothing Chicago
The vintage clothing scene becomes more popular in United States every day and Chicago is no exception. The stylish were already looking for unique, well-made pieces to set them apart; vintage makes that very simple.
Because you will rarely ever find the same piece hanging on the rack in multiple sizes in a vintage market or flea market, the chances of running into someone on the street wearing this same piece would be unusual. Great places to find vintage clothing in Chicago are vintage markets, flea markets, antique shows or vintage shops.
Tips for Buying Vintage Clothing
- Check carefully for clothing with damage, rips or stains. If you see it, it shouldn’t come home with you.
- Know your stuff. Be familiar with the feel of vintage clothing. I know dealers who can go through a rack of clothes just by feel. When they get to that great quality piece, they already know just by the feel of it. Know your fabrics and what would have been expensive.
- Know your labels. A label can reveal so many clues. If you are looking for a particular brand, knowing what label came from when can help tremendously. Here is a great example of labels from Diane Von Furstenburg from the Vintage Fashion Guild, Guide to Vintage Labels. You can see labels from as far back as the 1960’s. What an amazing resource!
- Here’s a little secret: Sometimes vintage clothing has maker labels hidden in the seams. Local shops would order their clothes and put their own labels in often covering the maker’s label or it’s hiding and not as visible as the shop’s label. Look carefully.
- Know big names in fashion. There are big names like Chanel and Gucci that is easily recognizable. There are also many other big names like, Ossie Clark, Ceil Chapman and Stephen Sprouse that the general public may not recognize, but you will. Knowing names will help you make that big score!
The 2017 Vintage Garage dates are April 23, May 21, June 18, July 16, August 20, September 17, and October 15. There will be 100 vendors offering cool vintage and antique pieces every 3rd Sunday, April to October. Vintage Garage is located at 5051 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640. Hours are 10:00 am to 5:00 pm with a $5 admission. Official website is www.vintagegaragechicago.com.