CHICAGO–Edgewater is the location to shop locally this holiday season. The Vintage Garage Holiday Trunk Show and the DIY Trunk Show, November 17, are providing an opportunity to purchase unique green and sustainable gifts that help boost the local economy.
“Vintage is green because no new materials have been used to produce it,” says Melissa Sands of Vintage Promotions, LLC, producer of the Vintage Garage Chicago Holiday Trunk Show. “Like DIY, which is hand-crafted locally, purchasing it supports local small businesses.”
In addition to being a lot of fun, shopping locally has other benefits. The shows have compiled a list of eight reasons to shop locally.
1. Keep the neighborhoods and city unique – Shopping locally helps support local businesses which give a neighborhood its character.
2. Reduce the Environmental Impact – Objects that are made locally, or exist locally are not shipped thousands of miles before they are purchased.
3. Invest in the Community – Buying from local people who spend more of their earnings locally helps the whole community.
4. Buy what you want – Unique, local objects represent a wider array of choices rather than things marketed and packaged according to what a big company wants you to buy.
5. Support local non-profits – Studies show non-profit organizations receive an average 250 percent more support from smaller business than from large businesses.
6. Better customer service – This one is quite simple, you both plan to be around here a while.
7. Support local jobs – Nationally, small local businesses are the largest employers. nationally.
8. Finally, research shows entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character.
The Vintage Garage Holiday Trunk Show will be held November 17th and 18th from 11:00 a.m. untl 6:00 p.m. in a storefront at Granville and Broadway. More information is available at www.vintagegaragechicago.com. The DIY Trunk Show is November 17 from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. at 5917 North Broadway. More information is available at DIY Trunk Show.